Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Focusing on your joy as opposed to your circumstance


My blog name - Plodding through life...but learning to glide - although it has an inside funny meaning between a close and dear friend of mine it also relates a great deal to my life at the current moment. Life throws things at ya from time to time - but we've all heard at some point that God will never give you anything you can't handle. Some days that registers and I know it - but others doubt sets in and I lose that trust that things will be OK.

For the past 2 years I have been very sick. I had gallstones and had my gallbladder removed in Nov 06. Doctors did every test they could that would give them any indication of what could be causing me to be sick - nothing came back in the tests. Showed I was perfectly fine and should be healthy. "Should be" being the key. For 2 years I was nauseated almost on a daily basis. This began to effect my life in a great deal. Never wanting to go anywhere - home being my safe haven! I asked myself all the time....Why me God...why is this happening to me. Slowly after that I began getting angry, frustrated and exhausted. The past 2 yrs have been a struggle to say the least. Things that were once important to me became not important. Suddenly the only thing on my mind was not feeling sick. I let the anger and frustration take over and before I knew it I realized I was different - lost my joy. I remember the night I was laying in bed curled up praying God would stop the nausea because I just couldn't do it anymore!! Finally!!!! The day came when someone brought me a name of someone that might possibly be able to help me out. Her name is Amy R and she is an Herbalist. She has been a Godsend to me as I have only felt nauseated twice in two months! Thank GOD!!!!!!

I realized a lot through this whole thing - how quickly and easily you can lose your joy. Something everyone takes for granted from time to time and some people rarely even talk about it until Christmas time comes along. Sometimes you might not even realize the significance of joy in your life until you've lost it. There are times when we can all sit and feel sorry for ourselves. And ask God the question, "why me?" At the time it seems like a logical question. However if we continue to live our lives focusing on the negatives we will find something to bring us down almost everyday. One of my favorite sayings is that "life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." Which means YOU have the power to dictate what happens in your life based on your reactions to life's circumstances. So the next time you get ticked off, someone irritates you, cuts you off when you are driving or you get inconvenienced by someone else just remember that you have the power to decide how you are going to react. Are you going to let it ruin your day? Ruin someone else's after you unload and possibly take it out on them? I'm not saying all this to say we can never get mad or upset. It happens-and will continue to happen - we are all human. But I believe if you make it a habit to try and focus on the positives and not let the little things bring you down you will notice a huge difference in your life and in your relationships. I know after the past 2 years I am choosing to focus on my joy as opposed to only on my situation.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good." ~Unknown

No comments: